Love Story meets Viva la Vida

Saturday, July 12, 2008

First Post and Independence Day

This is my first blog ever and I am a little scared. Between Facebook, My Space, working full time, starting my business, writing a book, and playing with my boyfriend, I don't need any other distractions.

I love being able to read about my sisters and their children because I really wish I could be more of a part of their lives. It makes me feel in little ways like I am.

First off... here is baby cousin Sterling who just returned from his mission in West Virginia! He is a mix between Spencer and Shawn in looks. But mostly Spencer. It was nice to see him and here his strong testimony at is homecoming sacrament meeting.





My latest adventure was Independence Day! July 4th weekend Eric and I ventured to Santa Barbara. It is a beautiful small town. State street is lined with cute shops and eateries. The end of State is closed off for pedestrians to meander down toward the pier and harbor for the evening festivities.

Eric and I enjoyed a nice milkshake from a small icecream shop when we first arrived. Then we wandered back to my car for a tasty homemade roast beef sandwich.











As we were eating ash began to fall on us. I looked up and saw the sky was turning an amber color. It was only around 3pm.
As we wondered toward the pier my black backpack was covered in ash and falling like snow. It was quite a site.

Here are some of our sights along the way. I would usually color correct these but this is what everything really looked like because of the smoke clouds masking the sun!






1. Eric is chatting with a Greek Orthodox dude
2. Then we invaded The Reagan Ranch Center
3. There was a beautiful staircase that was so hard to capture the full beauty!
4. On the pier is this dolphin fountain. Eric looks so modelish here. He got same strange looks
when he climbed on it!

I think pictures will tell more than words on these next ones...











































This next one, after the fireworks the State St. tunnel underneath the 101 freeway was jam packed with people. People were hollering and screaming in the tunnel as they walked through it trying to have fun. The animals and little children were more frightened than the fireworks!













The next day Eric and I went to Hollywood. We walked to the new mall by the Chinese Mann Theater and then found a hot dog shop with awesome Lemonade. Wow was I thirsty!


This is a picture at the mall on a special walkway purposely made to view the Hollywood sign!

We finally ended the trip at Manhattan Beach. It was really crowded and we jumped right in the water (even though it was 4pm ish) The water was great but it the waves were huge and powerful. Eric loved wave dodging out in the deep!

I was nice hearing patriotic music at church the Sunday before and after. That Sunday in my singles ward we sang the Star Spangled Banner. As is tradition I bore my testimony and this time after meeting our Gringo friend as he called himself on the pier, I testified that man is not in control of this world but God is. God controls when this world will end and when our lives will end. It is our job to take care of what is lent us and also prepare ourselves too see God again. I am grateful to know that no lawyer, doctor or power hungry politician can effect the world and how it turns. They cannot have that power!

4 comments:

r.l.secor said...

Very nice first post Liz! I am glad you caught the bug and started your own blog! I don't ever know what you are up to either. Reading of your escapades makes me want to go to Santa Barbara too! Alas, we may be off to Chicago next weekend for a job interview... nothing final yet though. At least maybe we'll get a little vacation this year.

Lisa said...

What a fun time you always have there. Where do you live again? You sure are in CA. alot. :) Just teasing.
I hardly recognize Sterling!
It will be good to see pictures and stories from all of your happenings.

Megan said...

I'm so glad to see you blogging! How fun! We'll be checking in often!

...And thanks for posting that picture of Ster!

THE CAVEY CLAN said...

Hey Lizzo Minizo, you do type in .blogspot.com:)! Anyway, I found you and I am soooo glad you have a blog now busy lady. Now I can read about you too:)!